FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
Orthodoxy first came to North America in 1794 through the efforts of holy missionaries sent by the Russian Orthodox Church to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ to those who lived in Alaska. In time, Orthodox missionary parishes spread throughout North America. In 1970, the Church of Russia granted independence to its missionary parishes here in America, giving birth to the the Orthodox Church in America (OCA) - the newest sister in the world-wide communion of Orthodox Churches.
ORTHODOXY IN SALEM
St. Nicholas parish was founded in Salem in 1901 by immigrants from Galicia (now part of western Ukraine, "roughly") and became part of the Russian Orthodox Church in 1908. In 1970, alongside hundreds of other parishes across the country, St. Nicholas became part of the newly established Orthodox Church in America (OCA). Like all churches in the OCA, we are now entrusted with the responsibility to spread the Gospel of Christ throughout the American lands.
Orthodoxy arrives in North America via Alaska
Saint Nicholas was founded by Galician immigrants.
Saint Nicholas was received into the Russian Orthodox Church.
Saint Nicholas becomes part of the newly established Orthodox Church in America (OCA).